Moving & Relocating Checklist
Moving or Relocating Planning and Checklist
Moving house is one of the most stressful times in anyone's life and with so much going on there is just so much to remember to do and plan for to ensure that the move goes successfully and smoothly.
To make this activity less daunting and stressful, Fort Knox has has developed a helpful and comprehensive Moving Checklist to assist in planning the removalist, packing for the move and keeping track of all of the logistical arrangements that need to be though out.
By tracking these tasks it will help in making your move more organised and stress-free and allow you to get on with your life in your new location.
There are 3 distinct timeframes associated with moving house as follows:
- Pre Planning (usually 2-3 months in advance of the move)
- Packing (usually 2-3 week in advance of the move)
- Moving (on the day befor and the day of the move)
Pre Planning Phase of Relocating (2-3 mths in advance of the move)
Checklist for Moving - Pre Planning Phase
- Confirm your moving date and lock it in the diary
- Arrange for some time off work to assist in getting yourself organised
- Determine if you will be undertaking the move yourself as a self move or booking a professional removalist company.
- If using a removalist, call and lock in the date - you will need to advise things like how many levels is the new premises, the quantity of furniture and household items that you have to move, does the new premises have a lift or stairs and do you need to book these out for the move, how large is your furniture and will it fit through a lift and around a stairwell.
- Secure and book a self storage facility for those items that weill not be able to be stored at the new location or for those being stored in the transition period.
- Finalise your contract with your current self storage facility and organise an end of lease date.
- Redirect any of your mail in advance so that you do not miss receiving any mail in the transition period. See the Australia Post Mail Redirection Service.
- Advise organisations of your change of address with the online Address Notification Service.
- Arrange insurance on the new property and any stored items that you have in a self storage unit.
- Enrol children in new schools and day care centres where necessary.
- Have a garage sale or a dump run and clear our any items that you have accumulated and no longer need.
- Order your packing supplies early and allocate them in advance to specific rooms.
- To break such a big job into smaller more manageable jobs, start packing in advance what you don't use and need on a daily basis. Remember that these are probably the same items that you can also unpack last and can be labled accordingly.
- Label each box clearly with a full description of the contents, and the room destination. Start a master inventory list for future tracking and unpacking.
- Mark your boxes on their sides as well as tops so that no matter how you store them you can still see what is in them. Tape a list of contents onto the side and top of your boxes for easy retrieval of goods.
- Refer to the Fort Knox Packing and Packaging Guide for more tips and tricks on successfull packing and unpacking when moving and storing furniture and household items.
- Make a list of items you'll need available for the moving day, so that you don't pack something essential.
- Start using up canned food and freezer items so that you have less to pack and move.
- If you are currently renting, arrange for carpet cleaners to come in after you have moved your furniture out and do a moving out clean.
- Send and email or written notification of change of address to friends and family.
- Book a cleaner for the premise that you are moving into for either the day before or the morning of the move to ensure that you can unpack immediately at the new location.
Packing Phase (2-3 wks in advance of moving)
Checklist for Moving - Packing Phase
- Arrange for the disconnection and reconnection of utilities such as electricity, gas, telephone and water - you can do this online - Go to Organise utility accounts to find out how.
- Cancel regular newspaper deliveries.
- Cancel or redirect regular cleaning, gardening, pet grooming and other local community services.
- Pack excess clothing, linen and crockery and cutlery that you will not need, and live with bare essentials for the last 2 weeks.
- Update address details for:
- the electoral role
- drivers license
- your bank or building society
- any store cards.
- health funds - medicare and private health funds.
- pet registration, pet insurance and vet.
- car registration and car insurance.
- etoll accounts
- day care, schools and work
- tax department
- any company and business registers that you have
- your accountant
- hopsitals, doctor and regular health practitioners
Moving Phase (the day before and day of the move)
Checklist for Moving - The Day Before the Move
- Make or confirm key collection arrangements.
- Collect keys from the self storage facility you will be moving to.
- Pack a small box of items you'll need for immediate personal use such as toiletries, a change of clothes, medicines, toilet paper, soap and towels.
- Pack small box of household essentials such as the kettle, limited cutlery, mugs, tea, coffee and snacks and bottled water.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer well before you move it and turn if off overnight to avoid water damage. Fridges, freezers and other white goods should be clean and dry before you move them.
- Organise plenty of helpers.
- Try to move small boxes to one room such as the garage so that they are out of the way of the big furniture as well as easy to get out of the house at the time they are needed for packing.
- Get a good night's sleep.
Checklist for Moving - Moving Day
- Start early so that you are not rushed or stressed.
- Exchange final lease/sale documents.
- Collect keys to new premises.
- Organise removalists in packing furniture and household items.
- Check off all furniture and cartons against your inventory as they go into the van or truck.
- Do a final check of all storage areas inthe premises that you are moving out of.
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked as you leave your old house.
- Keep any valuables, personal effects and important items and papers with you during the move.
- If you are storing items in a self storage unit, make sure that anything you are likely to want to get access to often, or access during the time that you have the items stored, should be placed either at, or near the front of the storage unit.
- Unpack bedding and make up your bed first - you will need that and be thankful of it at the end of the day.
Realised that you need a self storage unit for you upcoming move?
If you have just realised that you will need either some temporary or long term storage after your move then contact Fort Knox today availability near you.